Friday, September 25, 2009

Super Yummy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (that are healthy, too!)

Ok, I've been going on and on about this recipe I found online for a healthy oatmeal raisin cookie... so here it is!
It is so chewy and yummy, you'd never guess its low-fat. I made a few variations to the original recipe, so I'm sure that changed the nutrition facts, but the original recipe (that calls for no cinnamon or cloves and uses regular flour, unsalted butter and light brown sugar) says it has a serving size of 2 cookies (rounded teaspoonfuls size) with 2g protein, 94 calories, 1g fiber, 2 g total fat and 10g sugar (hey, its a cookie - and some of that comes from the raisins)

When I think of the breakfast cereal that we would consume in this house, back when I bought it, even that is not as nutritious as these (which is why I've let my kids have a couple for breakfast once and a while, and even occasionally refer to them as breakfast cookies)

Applesauce Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
originally from www.foodfit.com, but I've made some changes:

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter (used salted)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar(used dark)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
just under 1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
(cooking spray)

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375°. Spray 2 cookie sheets generously with non-stick spray. (even with this I needed a sharp spatula to get these off).  I don't use non-stick pans, but they might do a better job.

2. In electric mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugars together for about a minute, until smooth.

3. In separate bowl (while mixer is creaming) combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

4. In mixer, when butter/sugar is done creaming, add in applesauce, egg and vanilla and mix until blended, about 2 minutes. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and the cinnamon and ground cloves and mix well. Add the oats and raisins, mixing by hand, if needed.

5. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls (I used a disher that makes a ball about the size of one of those large gumball machine gumballs, or about 1 Tablespoon). Space about 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until slightly golden, about 11 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet and then remove to baking racks.
--I'm trying out freezing the dough balls and will let you know how they do-- Update: not bad!  They are still a bit gooey to handle even when frozen, though.

--oh my gosh, if you wanted to totally make these bad for you they would be so good sandwiching a glob of cream cheese frosting!--

--if you only have regular cooking oats, you might want to let the dough sit in the fridge for a few hours and then try it. The first time I made these all I had was the regular rolled oats and the oats didn't absorb really any moisture so the texture was a bit off, but the flavor was the same. --

These are so very soft and chewy - and they stay that way for a few days in a ziploc bag. You can't even taste the applesauce in them. I made home made applesauce a week or so ago and used that - so yummy! I actually made a double batch of these today.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds very good Jenny. Glad you listened to your mom and went for the quick cooking oats. I may just have to make some!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

There was an error in this gadget