Saturday, May 30, 2009

Quick & Crunchy Ramen Stir-Fry

I had heard of people using Ramen noodles in their stir fry before. Occasionally, I've had a pack of Ramen laying around that I don't know what to do with. Allrecipies.com has tons of cabbage salad recipes... but I'm not really into cabbage. We do like stir-fry though (though the kids dont) My husband and I like going to a make-your-own stir-fry place called Mongo's Grill in St. Cloud, MN when we are there - its wonderful (and like $20+ for just us two). If your in the Twin Cities area and like traditional Asian food, try Kahn's Mongolian Grill - that place is yummy too... But in our small town there is nothing like that for at least an hour drive. So this is what I made. Its super fast, cheap and yummy! I'm sure there are similar recipes to this, but this is my own creation. I call it...

Quick & Crunchy Ramen Stir-Fry

Prep: 5 seconds. Cooking time: maybe 10 min.

Using some of the dry noodles in the finished stir-fry adds an almost nutty taste to this quick stir-fry. You can use what veggies/meat you have on hand, of course, but the frozen stuff is what makes this quick to make.
  • pre-cooked garlic-flavored chicken, in chunks, frozen
    ( I make up my own batches of this stuff)
  • frozen stir-fry veggies
  • Ramen noodles, oriental flavor
  • 1-2 T. olive oil (or other oil)
  • up to 1 cup water
I used a non-stick skillet for my stir fry. You aren't supposed to pre-heat those pans with nothing in them, but obviously a stir-fry needs a hot pan before you add food. So this is what I did (and saved myself some dishes):

Heat pan to almost full heat, immediately add about 1/2 cup water.
Add most of package of ramen noodles, reserving about 2-4 Tablespoons of dry noodles.
Add handful of frozen chicken.
Add some of seasoning packet.

(I made a half-batch today so please double whatever you see in the picture to match the recipe)

Let noodles cook and chicken thaw in water as the pan heats up.

When the water is mostly gone and noodles are fairly cooked(about 2-3 min) and pre-cooked chicken warmed though, add 1 "turn" of olive oil and bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, add the rest of Ramen seasoning packet. Stir to coat.

Allow to cook for about 2 minutes without stirring(I have a hard time with this, lol). Give a good stir and allow to cook another 2 minutes or so. Add some more water if pan is drying out before desired cooking is acheived.

Crumble remaining noodles into stir fry pan, stir to coat and pour into dish.
Just for fun (and to save scrubbing the pan) Deglaze pan with water to get all the yummyness out of the pan and pour over your stirfry. Make sure you do your best Julia Child impression when you say "And now we will deglaze the pan..."

Serve to hard -working hungry husband and then politely demand a few bites of this yummy stir-fry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

There was an error in this gadget