Tuesday, April 28, 2009

a winner

Ok, I'm not a bean person. Honestly, I'm not even crazy about green beans. But I know they (not green) are nutritious and cheap and I need to try to work them into more meals. I'm trying to put the memories of third grade boys at lunch going "BEANS?! Beans make you ****," etc.

I was actually looking online for a crockpot chicken "processing" recipe that I can just throw a bag of frozen breasts in with some spices and cook, cut up and re-freeze to use in my meals, but this looked good and I had the ingredients so I thought I'd try. We don't eat Mexican-type food much because the oldest is so dang picky, but I figured she'll have to sit though a meal she may not like tonight so we all can try it. It got 3 votes for "really good" and a "umm, its good. Maybe make it again so I can try it again and decide" from said picky eater.

So I wish I had taken a picture of the girls eating this meal tonight. It was really cute and I think they liked that they got to eat tortilla chips as part of a meal. I usually don't (knowingly) make super un-healthy meals like this, but once a week its fine by me :) It was easy!

I identified it as "Cheesy Chicken with tortilla chips" to the kids because something like "Santa Fe chicken" would conjure up weird excuses not to eat it.... and comments about Santa, lol.

Easy Chicken Santa Fe

1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (mixed in 1/3 can, served the rest on the side)
2 15.25-ounce cans whole kernel corn, drained (I used 1 c. frozen)
1 cup bottled thick and chunky salsa (used 1/2 cup - all I had)
5 or 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 8-ounce brick cream cheese (good use for a frozen one)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. In a 3.5 or 4-quart electric slow cooker, mix together beans, corn, and 1/2 cup salsa. Top with chicken breasts, then pour remaining salsa over chicken.

2. Cover and cook on high heat setting 2.5-3 hours or until chicken is tender and white throughout. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.
Remove chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add back to slow cooker.

3. Add cream cheese (cut into cubes to melt faster) and add shredded cheese - turn cooker to high heat. Heat until cream cheese melts and blends into sauce. Serve over rice(I served over broken tortilla chips instead).
Serves 4.

original recipe link here

2 comments:

  1. The way you changed the name made me laugh. I remember doing the same with a few things with our kids. One time I bought cheddar/jack cheese blend, you know the white and yellow cheese. I called it "tiger cheese". They still call it that! :) The other was a dessert called "Devil's Float". I couldn't call it that to my sweet little babies, so we changed the name to "Chocolate Float". Oh what we won't do to make our kids try something new, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the name change too. I have been known to do that. :) This sounds soooo yummy...gonna print it off!!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

There was an error in this gadget