Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A bit personal

So I've kept this blog pretty impersonal. Not because that was my intention, but because I don't have the time for blogging like I hoped when I set this up (no regrets though!). But I feel the need to vent and this IS my blog... so here goes...

I am a SAHM (stay-home mom) and have been since having my oldest 6 1/2 years ago. Now that my younger one is going to possibly start preschool next year (which would make 2 years of preschool for her) I am considering the long-term picture of my kids' education and my career. I attended college for 3 semesters, and thankfully got into the architecture program at NDSU for my sophomore year. The program has changed a bit (Masters instead of Bachelors - still same length of time though) but if I finished up (assuming I wouldn't have to re-take anything) I'd be done in 3.5 years. OR I can go for the pre-professional degree and be done in 2.5 years, which might be ok too. NDSU is 4 hours from my house, though. There are only about 6 universities that meet my criteria that I'm considering and all would require re-location. That's a pretty big jump for someone who has been a SAHM for so long and relying on one income (that would possibly have to change, unless I go to K-state, then one/both of us would have big commutes). Arg.

On the other hand, I can get an architectural drafting degree (AAS, I think) in about 2 years, but I'd have to commute a 2-hour round trip each day. Which would mean possibly enrolling my kids in THAT school district and taking them with me each day. (I wouldn't want both of us parents being an hour from them[in different directions] should anything happen). And of course, I'm feeling like that drafting degree wouldn't be as fulfilling, artistically or financially (down the road, anyway). And who knows if I'd have to start all over again to get the arch. degree. Ugh.

And of course, I can keep doing what I am doing. I had a hard time the first few years with feeling validated being a SAHM when the world around me continued on. I really had to give my career to God (several times, lol) and finally felt peace about it only when I decided I was going to wait for an opportunity to basically fall in my lap. Then I'd consider it and His will for it. Recently a opportunity presented itself (in a rather informal way) that got me thinking again.

I like being a SAHM, but as much as I like my peace and quiet, I don't know if it would be good for me to be home THAT much. I know I'd enjoy it at first (who wouldn't!) but after a school year I'd probably be bored. Which brings me to my other first concern: The kids' education.

Ideally, I'd like to limit how often they move, geographically or even just their school districts. It may be inevitable for our older one but I'd like to complete whatever educational/geographic goal there is before our younger starts Kindergarten. As a kid, I was born and raised in the same home (my parents built it shortly after marrying) until we moved when I was 16 (but stayed in the same school district). That continuity really meant something to me. Sadly, with how our culture is, that isn't as easy anymore. Especially now. People are lucky to stay at a job for 5 years.

When my husband and I first married, we made the choice to finish his degree first (1 year vs. my 3 1/2). We couldn't do them in the same town. Then he was offered his job where he is working today, commuting an hour each way to his job 4 days a week (thankfully he can work from home on Mondays). He is going on 8 years of service at that company now. He thinks he may be able to work from home more often in a few years if we had a more ideal setup (such as finishing a bonus room above a garage). Right now, in our current home, there isn't room for a quieter office. I usually try to get out on Mondays with the little one, lol.

Our older daughter has lived in three homes now. Our first home, near our hometown, and then when we decided to relocate to a better commute for my husband, we moved into an apartment (which was supposed to be less than 6 months but turned into 16) and then our home now. She probably doesn't care as much as I do but it would be nice to live somewhere long enough to re-decorate! Arg!

Funny, when my husband and I chose to get married, our theme verse was "Be still and know that I am God" (ps. 46:10). Yeah. I think I'm kinda bad at that! Can you do me a favor and pray for us if you like? I'd appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

There was an error in this gadget