Monday, March 2, 2009

Waste not, want not -- Want never again - Kashi Vive cereal!!

Medium

I got a free box (vanilla-ish twigs and bark variety) from Vocalpoint a few months ago. I thought I'd tolerate it or let the kids pick through it as a trail mix. No go.

So today I had one lone, overripe banana and a (old) bag of dried blueberries that I wanted to put to use. I looked online and found this recipe

I modified it, replacing the raisin nut bran with the Kashi Vive, and added the blueberries instead of the raisin component. The batter was VERY dry (maybe because I had packed the cereal into the measuring cup) so I added about 2 Tb. of water. It had a very thick brownie batter constancy.

I was going to make muffins but forgot since I was paying such close attention to the original recipe. Even while it was baking in a loaf pan in the oven and the kids asked what was baking, I said "muffins", lol. I'd make them smaller. I have just over a cup of the cereal left so I am probably going to do a half recipe with some frozen blueberries and make muffins with that batch.

I served it warm at dinner with butter. The kids gobbled it up, haha

This is what I did with the recipe:
(I bolded the changes I made to the original)


INGREDIENTS
(originally Delicious Raisin Nut Banana Bread - Allrecipes )



  • 2 cups Kashi Vive cereal, slightly crushed (I had dd pick out white balls first to keep her busy and added them at the end with the blueberries - didn't make much of a difference though)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( replaced 1/2 c with whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed banana
  • 1/3 cup or so of dried blueberries (craisins would be good, or fresh blueberries)
  • (optional) you could also fold in some nuts( 1/4 c) or flax seed if you wanted, but I didn't. Wouldn't taste bad though
  • about 2 Tb. water

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the bottom of a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, have toddler remove white balls and save for later, if desired. Stir together slightly crushed cereal and milk. Let stand 5 minutes, until cereal is soft.
  3. Stir oil and egg into milk mixture until well combined (I added banana to this mixture). In a separate bowl, combine flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into milk mixture and fold in mashed banana(if you haven't already) and fold in berries and remaining cereal, if any; pour into prepared loaf pan. Add water if necessary to make batter a thick brownie batter consistancy.
  4. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

There was an error in this gadget